Sunday, April 12, 2009

Why am I Here?


A few weeks ago we had dinner with a couple of friends of Amy's from orientation. We went to this really good South Korean restaurant that Carrie knew about. I'm not sure exactly what a North Korean restaurant would look like but I'd imagine you'd just starve while looking at a picture of "The Great Leader." One of Amy's friends writes a blog for CIEE. On it she had some not pretty critical remarks about me, Dave, and Ken. She doesn't call us out by name but it's pretty clear who she's talking about. Some of this might be a reaction to some joking around between Ken and Teddy. Ken's sense of humor can take a little getting used to and he was just jokingly ordering Teddy around at one point. Now I know it's a little long but I wanted to except what she said in its entirety so I could respond to it not because I'm just mad someone said something about me, but because I think her attitude is typical of the reaction of some expats that I find troubling:

Though the teachers' observations were hilarious and they had amusing anecdotes to share (student stalkers and the like), some of their remarks were somewhat ignorant and vaguely offensive. Basically their regards to the way certain things are done and some of the questions they asked, in a joking manner. In actuality, they could easily find the answers to these questions.

I suppose this is what I find most frustrating about some of the expats I’ve met. They believe that as Americans they should be treated as such; but my response to that is if you’re in China, maybe you should try to adapt to it. I feel like people like this come here not because they’re necessarily interested in learning about the place. It’s more to have a self-oriented adventure and take advantage of a third world country.


I miss America too. As far as fundamental beliefs are concerned, honesty is huge and this transcends American values, though this also aligns with those values. (I’m also insanely meticulous, if you couldn’t tell; this means I ask a lot of questions—hopefully this conveys interest in the culture though). I think it’s simply easier to go through minor unpleasantness in the short term than deal with a big, fat mess in the long term. Nevertheless, I want to show some respect for the way things are done and believe that these differences of opinion are wonderful; the world is a more complex and interesting place because of it.


Now we do certainly complain about things we don't like in China but I think the notion that this is somehow "ignorant and vaguely offensive" is preposterous. I think her attitude is fairly exemplary of a sort of cultural relativism that I find so troubling. Too many expats just seem to think that understand differences is the same thing as agreeing with them. I believe that since I've been in China I developed a much wider understand of why things are the way they are in China. China's obsession with tests doesn't come from nowhere. China ran what was essentially the worlds first meritocracy with promotions in civil service based on tests. This ingrained the tests first system they still have today into place. But that's not the same thing as accepting it. The huge focus on tests especially at the high school level hurts actual education. I've never seen students work so hard but accomplish so little actual learning. I think I have much greater understand also of why the government is as authoritarian as it is. China has a long history of powerful top down government. That doesn't mean I approve of it any more. Finally I also just going to call a spade a spade. The fact that I can only but train tickets 10 days in advance from that city I'm currently in is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

She says that she wants to "respect the way things are done." I think this misses the point. Too many people believe that the fact that cultural differences should simply be respected without comment. In fact China propagates this very notion. They constantly rebuff any criticism of their action in Tibet by saying that it's none of anyone else's business what they do in their own country. But this is just wrong. The fact that China may have different standard or morals then the US doesn't make them both equal. Some things are just right and some things are just wrong. Moreover this very notion ignores minority descent. It assumes that cultures only have one position and we should just understand and accept it. I find it very interesting and try very hard to understand China, but that in no way mean I accept many of the things that go on here.

She also says we don't fit in enough. I find that literally laughable. I can do nothing else but stick out. Every where I go I'm stared at and people treat me really differently. If I go to some of the restaurant on campus sometimes the people running it will essentially put me first in line without asking me about it. People here seem to find everything I do either interesting or funny. I don't ask to be treated like an American in fact it would be a lot easier if people ignored me a little more. She also accuses us of "taking advantage of a third world country." This is maybe the most ludicrous statement of all. First I don't take advantage of anything. I have incredibly favorable work terms, but I never asked for them. I don't make my schedule or decided how many classes I teach. I try to do all the outside of class stuff to help my students. In fact we've probably done more with English corner, and things like the Halloween party then any teachers here before us. Also while part of China may be third world Jiangsu is certainly not. This is one of the richest areas anywhere in China. We are a hop skip and a jump from Shanghai and Nanjing. "Taking advantage of a third world country" makes it sound like we're here stealing cultural artifacts and enslaving the natives.

This all does though raise the legitimate question of why I am here then. This is something my students bring up every semester at the beginning of class. I came to China to see something different. China may be one of the single most different countries from the US. I really had no idea what to expect when I showed up but I have been very pleasantly surprised. I care about my students a lot and especially with the ones going to England have really tried to help them out. I had no idea what I wanted to do long term when I graduated from college and right now I can't say I really know any better but seeing China right as it emerges onto the world stage is something that will stay with me forever. I really resent the notion that I'm just here to ignore the culture and take advantage of people.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Well, snap! I think you answered her comments quite eloquently and it will be interesting to see if there is any fallout from this very intelligent response (and I'm not just saying that because I'm your mother). I don't think you should have to explain yourself to someone who is clearly so judgmental and takes herself way too seriously, but you certainly did a good job anyway.

bob davis said...

Remember these words: It's a small world afterall. It's a small world afterall.
That should help you better understand China and anything that might seem offensive