Sunday, June 6, 2010

Steve's Three Phones


I think the only people who have three phones in America are drug dealers. Hell I can't even really say I know anyone with two phones unless you count old ones that just sit in a drawers. But in China its actually pretty common for people to have more than one cell phone. The main reason is because the rates are a lot cheaper, though from my point of view the phone is free compared to what I pay in America, if you have a local number. This means that people will often have one sim card for the place they live and another for the place they are from, so they can talk to people in both places while paying the lower rate. They even make some phones specifically for this with more than one sim card slot. But that's not enough for a lot of the message happy people in China. With two phones you never need to switch out the sim cards you can message with your friends in two different cities simultaneously, which explains what students are doing in my class when they're not paying attention. But this still doesn't explain how Steve got up to three. Well it turns out that between his Changzhou and Nantong cell phones neither or them is on the right network to get text messages from the school. So now Steve is up to three cell phones. And here he is in a picture sporting two of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute picture! Does it count that I have one cell and a blackberry that I don't use as a phone?
(Mom)

bob davis said...

Maybe steve can give her texting lessons.