Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Bugs are Back

One nice thing about cold winters is that they kill off all the bugs. But it's hot now and all the bugs are back. The mosquitoes are especially bad, there are so many out in the early evening that I'm afraid to go outside. I've been keeping my windows mostly shut as the screens in most of the windows are full of holes. There are also quite a few bees which I guess makes sense given how many people I see selling, what looks like, homemade honey. The dust has still been around though. For three days during the break I didn't see any direct sunlight. It wasn't as bad as the driving sand storm I saw when my dad was here but three days is a pretty long time for the sand to be blowing.

As an addendum to what I was talking about the other day I talked with one of my students about Chinese TV and she mentioned that there was a very popular show whose title translates as something like "Palace" which was about someone who went back in time. So I guess for whatever reason this recent ban on time travel TV is in direct relation to that. Also on other odd note about censorship. Just after the news broke that Bin Laden was dead the NYT story about it was blocked in China for some reason. I guess they eventually decided that it didn't really effect them, or it was just too big to block, because it was unblocked about an hour later. I'd really like to be in one of those meetings where they decide that news about Bin Laden or shows with time travel aren't the right fit for China.

2 comments:

Deb Bruno said...

Wow, the bugs sound kind of overwhelming.

bob davis said...

life at the end of the earth, i guess.