Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Home is Where the Heart Is

My time in China is drawing to a close, I'll be leaving in mid-July, and I'm getting pretty excited to go home. I've mentioned before on this blog that I think the that culture shock isn't just a one time thing but a feeling that comes and goes. Well, I'm feeling it right now. I really like China, but at the moment I'm just sick of all things China.

I'm sick of the people on the metro, the food, the weather, the pollution, the noise, the internet, and so much more. I can't wait to be back in the US where there is so much choice in the food, the internet runs so quickly, and people don't try to walk directly though you on the metro. For anyone who thinks they've seen bad public transportation behavior in the US, you have absolutely no idea how bad it gets. My plan right now is to visit people in DC in late July before going out to get situated for grad school. It has been nearly two years since I've been in DC, I didn't go home last summer. I can't wait to be back in the US for a while. I still love traveling, but I'm sort of China'd out at the moment.

I'm excited to see my friends and my family again, besides my immediate family it's been quite a while. I feel like I'm a little kid crossing off days on the calendar before his birthday. I still have a good amount of stuff to complete here with classes and whatnot, but it seems like it is almost done.

As for this blog I think it needs to end when I go back to the US. Even if I'd like to write about grad school I'm not sure it's such a good idea. Writing about things in China very few of the people I wrote about had any idea about this blog so I was free to say what I wanted, but in the US that won't be the case. Anyway the blog has had a good run and there are still a few more things I want to talk about. But for now I'm just excited to be going home.