Monday, June 1, 2009

Egg Shells

Speaking of problems with food, last night I was eating some kind of noodle thing and I bit down into something unexpectedly hard. I guess it was an egg shell, though it could have been some sort of clump of salt also. I think I may have cracked one of the fillings, or crowns or something on one of my teeth since it's been a little sensitive since then. It doesn't really hurt, but it doesn't feel right either. I'm going to try to wait till I go back to the US to have someone look at it since I don't exactly trust the dentists around here and I'll be back in almost exactly a month. Some Chinese people have truly terrible teeth, though that's probably from not ever brushing and never seeing a dentist. I've had a hard time looking some people in the face when they talk and reveal about six misshapen yellow teeth. The students are mostly OK in terms of teeth though I definitly see some people who could badly have used a set of braces when they were younger. If it starts to really hurt I'll go try and find a dentist, I'm not exactly one to suffer in silence after all, but for now I think it's OK.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Well, it's a good thing it didn't happen sooner -- Dad will make you a dentist appointment....

Anonymous said...

Same problem here. When I went to the Wild Coast, there were signs saying we weren't supposed to give the cute little kids any sweets because it promoted tooth decay and there aren't proper dentists in many villages.

-joanna

Anonymous said...

Jane Zhang, who we had lunch with before you left has a brother who is a dentist in Shanghai and deals with foreign types. I'll get some info. (plus I made the dentist appointment for you in DC for 7/6.)