Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bugs

Last weekend I made pasta for Ken, Dave, and Carrie. It was going pretty well I had already cooked some onions, though I guess they were out of season or something since they didn't have much taste, peppers, and chopped up sausage, adding it all into the tomato sauce. I boiled some water and got the bag of pasta I had bought a while ago at Wal-Mart. When I dumped the pasta into the bowl I notices a bunch of little black things that looked like poppy seeds. I looked closer at one of them letting out a big "huh," to witch Ken responded, "that's never a good sound to come from the kitchen." On closer examination the little poppy seed like things were six legged bugs that mostly seem to have been killed by dumping them into boiling water. I was so grossed out by it that I dumped the whole thing out my window into the bushes 14 stories below. Not wanting to waste all the sauce with the food in it Ken and Carrie went out and bought some dried Chinese noodles form the corner store. I wasn't sure how much to put in the water, the packets were about half the size of a usual pasta package, so I put in two. The noodles though soaked up the water at an unbelievable rate and I only ended up using one pack in the final pasta. It tasted all right in the end though the noodles were a little stickier then pasta. Carrie said she had seen that bug before and it was something that ate grains. She said during the cultural revolution people would eat them. Dave's also been having a problem with mosquitoes since some people who were fixing something in his apartment left one of his windows open for a while. Ken's even gone so far as to rig up a mosquito net. Me on the 14th floor I don't get many bugs that fly up this high so it's pretty easy. A few gnats fly near my light and die, so I have to clean the light every once and a while. There are definitly mosquitoes here but they're not that bad really. With all the water around town you'd think we'd be swimming in them, but it seems less then some places I've been.

2 comments:

Mom said...

You probably could have just picked out the bugs. I don't think they eat much. :)

bob davis said...

any malaria in your part of china? we just got pills for trip to South Africa.