Sunday, December 27, 2009

I Can't Understand the Words Coming Out of Your Mouth

"I can't understand the words coming out of your mouth." Says Chris Tucker to Jackie Chan in the comedy action movie Rush Hour, but I find myself in the same situation a lot. Today for instance I had to go to the train station to get tickets for Shanghai, I need to go there this week to get my Visa for India. I hailed a cab near the school and said train station in Chinese. Now train station in Chinese or Huǒ Chē Zhàn is not a very hard word. It's only three characters long and doesn't involve any of the really weird sounds that Chinese sometimes uses. But for some reason no one seems to understand me when I say it. I even know the tones for this one, but for some reason the taxi driver was just totally befuddled by sounds I was making. I eventually got someone to text me the characters but by that time a second taxi driver did understand me. This isn't the first time I've had trouble with this word either. I think there must be some difference between how I'm saying it and how it should be said that I have a hard time hearing. That's one of the more annoying difficulties in learning Chinese besides not being really able to make some sounds I can't even hear the difference between some. Oh well, I guess I'll have to learn how to write it 火车站 doesn't look too hard.

3 comments:

Chen said...

Maybe you spoke too quickly??
I noticed that you always speak in a fast speed. And perhaps it's a little difficult for you guys to pronounce 车che.

Anonymous said...

Now I understand why you were still asking me how to say railway station in Chinese that afternoon, after your 16 months adventure in China. Good luck next time!
-Teddy

Mom said...

What strikes me as odd is that it's a fairly common destination so you would think the driver would be able to make a good guess.