Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The World as it Should Be

Though it's been over for a while now I spent a lot of time this semester getting up really early, something I despise with the fire of a thousand suns, to listen to the Yankees in the playoffs. I'd listen to some games during the regular season but unless they were on at convenient times or were important games it was hard to get up to listen to them. Baseball is really the only sport I follow anymore since it is the easiest to keep up with no matter where I go. Football may have done a better job of getting caught up with the TV era with all the clips and highlights they like to put together but baseball is really the first sport to get on the internet. For only about $15 I can listen to a streaming radio presentation of the games complete with endless Bloomberg commercials and announcers who think the Yankees can never make a mistake. It's nice to hear something a normal and America as a baseball game while I'm over in China and it's even nicer to see the Yankees win again. It just seems like something not right with the world when the Yanks can't win. But this season everything finally came together in the right way. The pitching was spectacular lead by two of the best free agent signings the Yankees had in many years. In fact this is the first time I can remember when the Yankees signed three big name free agents and they all worked out well. Yankee history is lined with famous busts lead by one second baseman who went from Golden Glove winner to unable to field as soon as he put on the pin stripes. There was a list somewhere of the 20 worst free agents signings in baseball history apparently the top 10 spots all belonged to the Yankees. But the Yankees won and all is right in the world again.

6 comments:

Mom said...

Except my heart is broken that Matsui is gone....

bob davis said...

mastsui-san is a great loss.

Joanna Davis said...

Even I am sad that he's leaving.

Chen said...

I think it's so good to have a regular hobby while at present my hobby is to pinch my friends.

Lori Bruno said...

Just thought the comments section should have some reprentation from RED SOX NATION......(yay for Lackey?)

Mom said...

Notice how Red Sox fans can't even spell? Maybe they should think about pinching their friends instead....