Tuesday, May 11, 2010

An Eight Letter Word Meaning to Move Your Hands Quickly While Looking for Something

Sean's dad was in Changzhou recently and with him he brought a copy of Scrabble. We actually were going to have poker night when he walked in with the game but we just decided to stop right there and start up a game of Scrabble instead. People always seem to think I'd be good at Scrabble since I read a lot and have a pretty big vocabulary but I'm actually terrible. First, I'm not any good at spelling so sometimes I come up with words that don't exist. Second, I just have no recall when it comes to words. I think that is part of the reason I have trouble when it comes to learning languages. I'm always blanking on words even in day to day conversations and when there's pressure to turn a couple of a couple of tiles into a word I just don't see it. It's actually sort of funny since I keep coming up with nonsense words, hmmmm no "Zorp" isn't a work how about "Qarg"? Peter won our inaugural game partly on the strength of being the person to use up all his tiles first which gave him a bonus score for all the tiles anyone else had left over. I'm covering one of those small Coventry classes for Ken on Wednesday and I'm planning on playing Scrabble with them so I'll let you know how it goes in a classroom setting.

2 comments:

bob davis said...

you have Davis family traits on spelling. Scrabble has git to help.

Deb Bruno said...

I wonder if there is a scrabble game for people with spelling disabilities.