Sunday, October 3, 2010

Moon Cakes

About a week ago it was a different Chinese holiday, Moon Festival, or Mid-Autumn Festival. During this time the traditional gift and food are called moon cakes. Moon cakes are a desert, a round pastry stuffed with semi-sweet filling. Despite receiving these pretty much every year, from either students or the school, I've never really liked them. They just aren't sweet enough. They just seem like their missing something when you bight into one expecting a desert and instead come away with something that's like a cross between a cake and just a doughy piece of bread. I know the Chinese think I'm crazy for not liking them but I can just never get over the taste. Here's a picture of the box I got from the school this year, I manged to give most of them away so they didn't go to waste.

2 comments:

bob davis said...

You were probably hoping for new orleabs "moon pies" instead. Yummy with marshmellow.

Deb Bruno said...

I remember they were pushing these things when we were there last August.