Monday, March 12, 2012

No DVD Shop? No Problem

I never really found a good DVD shop in Guangzhou. I'm sure there is one, or many, in a city this size, but damned if I know where it is. On the other hand this hasn't really become much of a problem. My internet connection is pretty good here, no great but better than a lot of places in China, and I can just download pretty much anything I want from the internet. I just leave my computer running most nights and watch the stuff later. I know the fact that you can download movies from the internet isn't much of a revelation, unless I mail this blog back to 1990, but what amazes me is that it still can win out over buying cheap knockoff movies. Even if I found a DVD store tomorrow I don't think I'd go there. I remember my students making fun of me back in Changzhou for spending $1 on a DVD instead of downloading it, and I've come to the conclusion that they were right. DVDs in China may only be a dollar but the price on the internet is holding firm at free.

No comments: