Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Flock of Seagulls


I'm not sure if many people know the band who're pictured to the left. They had basically one hit and an unusual hairdo. I only bring it up because I think China might be the only country where you can still find people with this hair style, well at least one person. After class yesterday I decided that my hair had gotten way too long and got one of my Chinese students to bring me to a barber. I've never been sure how much to rely on the students to get things done for you, Joanna laughed at me using my students as interpreters. But they seem to like it, I only asked one person but another guy found out and came along just because. I didn't know where to go really so I just asked the student what placed they liked and had them bring me there. The place it's self was not too far from campus and looked pretty much like and barber shop in America, a couple of chairs and some bored barbers. They asked me if I wanted a shampoo first, but I've never really liked getting my hair cut and I was especially nervious that it was going to come out horrible so I just wanted to get on with it. The whole hair cut probably only took 15 minutes which I suppose is about what it always takes. At the end they asked me again if I wanted my hair washed but I didn't really want it. My hair cut came out great, it looks exactly the same as it does in the US which is a big relief. There were only basically two differences from getting a hair cut in the US. First, the guy cutting my hair was sporting what I can only describe as some version of the Flock of Seagulls do that you see above. And Second, that the hair cut cost about 80 cents. Now there are lots of ways to describe standard of living here versus in the US but in DC a hair cut costs me about $18 after tip and here it cost 80 cents. And I have to say that was the best 80 cent hair cut I've ever had.

1 comment:

Mom said...

And where is the photo of you with your nice new haircut?