Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Christmas Extravaganza

I tried to avoid planning it since planning things in China always leads to frustration, but I got sucked into the planning anyways, for this big Christmas party we are going to be putting on for the students in Alaer. Originally me and Slav were just going to sing some songs but as soon as the school head about that they wanted to do a whole big production. Now we are teaching a couple of different groups some Christmas songs. We said we didn't want many students so of course their were 50 hanging about last night but after a long and confusing discussion with Lake, I constantly get the sense he isn't actually listening to me when I speak, we got it down to three groups of about 12. One group will do the 12 days of Christmas, with different students signing different parts, one will do We Wish You a Merry Christmas, which proved not too difficult when we tried it out last night, and one will do Jingle Bells, after Silent Night seemed to be too hard. I have no earthly idea how to teach a group of Chinese kids to sing, since I can barely sing myslef, so we are just going to go with a lot of repartition and hope that works. There are also supposed to be some games for the party but there isn't exactly a big budget so we may only end up with 10 apples for apple bobbing. I hope it works out but I think the school is being really unclear and sort of expecting us to pick up the slack without ever really explaining what is going on.

2 comments:

Sarah Sanderson said...

this sounds so hilariously Chinese that it makes me laugh - good luck!

Deb Bruno said...

Can't wait to hear the details of the party!