Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Uyghurs have the Hot Pocket


Every day I'm becoming more and more impressed with Uyghur culture. First it was their mastery, or possible invention of, the bagel, but today Slav discovered that they also have the hot pocket. I have long believed that every culture has their own version of the burrito, some meat wrapped in bread, but to find dead ringer for Hot Pockets was, to say the least, unexpected. The only real difference between these and Hot Pockets, is that Hot Pockets have cheese in them. The Uyghur version is minced meat, lamb I think, and fat, people in Asia love fat, steamed in a bread shell. It may have a small amount of tomato in there. The way things are going I'm just waiting until I discover that just around the block is some place that does a Uyghur version of pizza. Probably not, but I can dream at least.

No comments: