Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Worst Wines in the World

I'm not really a big wine drinker, but I like to think I can tell at least the difference between good and bad, and most wine in China is decidedly on the bad side. It's not 100% though Slav found some red wine, they don't seem to make any white in China, that I thought was pretty good, and Slav, who drinks more wine than me, agreed. But over the last couple of nights I've had what are the undisputed worst wines in the whole world. First it was something called "Vmi Merceles" which I think is just French looking gibberish. I could tell something was off with this one just by looking at the color. It was the color you'd get if you mixed grape juice and lemonade. The smell was also awful, and nothing like the smell of any wine I've ever had before. The taste was like what would happen if you took grape juice mixed in four parts of water and then added baijou to the unholy mix. I was reminded of stories of people in Russia making vodka with antifreeze. The next night I had another red wine which reminded me of the wine people drink on Passover. For those of you who don't know kosher wine is for some reason awful, it's so sweat that it just tastes like grape juice, I actually had to check this one to see if it was in fact alcohol. So while there are in fact drinkable wines in China there aren't many of them.

5 comments:

Yossie said...

Sorry you had a bad experience drinking kosher wine but there are in fact hundreds of magnificent wines available that are kosher. Widely available in the United States are the wines from Yatir, Recanati and Galil Mountain - none of which are sweet and syrupy while all contain fruit, hints of oak and nice examples of terroir - check them out.

Yossie
www.yossiescorkboard.com

bob davis said...

Looks like you insulted the israeli wine industry.The indian wine industry is at a similar stage of development as the chinese. Ungodly sweet, but less syrupy than mansochevitz.maybe that's the local taste or more likely they haven't hit on the right export formula.

Shalom said...

I have to agree about kosher wine. Years ago sweet wine was the rule, but now there are hundreds of varieties and brands. The sweet wines are still there but there are so much more. Wine doesn't have to be sweet to be kosher. It just has to be made according to certain rules and a rabbi or certification official has to confirm compliance with those rules. All qualities and flavors are available.

Deb Bruno said...

I agree that kosher wine can be drinkable. As for China, I think I'll stick with beer. :)

Taylor said...

I agree about the Chinese wines-- One of my roommates brought back a bottle of red wine from China, and I had some and thought it was drinkable but still bad. However, she thought it must have been very good, since she paid a lot for it compared to other Chinese wines!