Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Strangest Weather in the World

Sometimes I don't really remember just how far away from everything I am. The internet, and phone calls keep things a lot closer than would have been true in the past. Then there are days like today. Today is a Chinese holiday Tomb Sweeping Festival, where people traditionally would visit with their dead relatives. I don't know if it's angry ghosts or what but today has been really annoying. I woke up freezing, and rolled over turn my heater on. When I punched the button a couple of times and it wouldn't come on I figured the power was out. I went out to the hallway where the power meters for all the apartments are to make sure it wasn't just my apartment. As I was walking back I glanced out the window, and to my utter shock it was snowing. Not just a little snow either, it was coming down pretty hard and there as some on the ground. For good measure I tried the water which was off as well. So there I was no heat, no power, no water, and snow. I can't express just how strange this is. Two days ago it was near 70 in the middle of the day, yesterday was a sand storm, and today it snows. As you may have guessed from the fact that I am able to blog the power has come back, it took until well past the middle of the day, but the water remains off. I wonder if this is some unexpected side effect of all there attempts to screw with the weather in Beijing. Maybe every time they do that crazy cloud dispersal stuff to make sure it doesn't rain on some big holiday, or whenever Hu Jintao decided to golf, it causes crazy weather in Alaer, it's not like they'd care anyways.

2 comments:

Deb Bruno said...

If it makes you feel better we're also having crazy weather.

Deb Bruno said...

Life at the end of the earth.