Saturday, October 1, 2011

Finding a Place to Eat

One of the first important things when moving to a new area is finding some place good to eat. Since I don't cook much, besides making things like eggs or sandwiches, I've been looking for a good little restaurant near here. The school has a bunch of cafeterias but so far my impression is that they all stink. I don't think there are any other restaurants on campus so that leaves the main shopping area not far from here. If I walk out of the closest gate it takes me about 10 minutes to get to the shopping area. There are a ton of restaurants there. Some seem a little fancy, or I only see big groups of people, and while I'm glad there is a KFC and a McDonalds close by it's not really an every day sort of food. The best place I've found so far is a guy who sells really good baozi, a sort of bready steamed dumpling, even though he often out of the vegetable ones I like in the evening, baozi are primarily a morning food in China. There was also a Malatang place, where you pick stuff and the boil it in a big bowl, which was good, but I'm pretty sure they overcharged me. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

3 comments:

Joanna Davis said...

My paranoia is that they give me smaller portions - either because I'm a tourist or just because I'm a small person! I can't yet prove it but it's driving me crazy...

Deb Bruno said...

Had to chuckle at both the post and Joanna's comments. Food is very important to this family.

bob davis said...

you've become very picky. probably when you first got to china, you'd think any chinese food was great.