Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Learning to Curse in Chinese

I've never had a huge interest in learning more Chinese than I really need to get around but recently I've started to learn some Chinese curse words. Now it's not that there are so many people I want to curse at in China, though there are definitely some, it's more that I think it will be a fun thing to learn. It's a more fun thing to discuss with my Chinese friends, and it's great how many Chinese people blanch when you use any Chinese curse word. Mostly thought I want to be able to use them when I'm back in the US. I think it would be great to be able to curse at people without them understanding. Last time I was back in the US I could barley stop myself from yelling at people who were blocking up the Metro, I think I'd be much happier jut cursing at them in Chinese as I passed. As for what the actual curse words are, I don't want to get into too many of them but a good simple one is "wu cao" that's "wu" in the third tone, falling then rising, and "cao" in the fourth tone, falling. Also for those who don't speak any Chinese the c in "cao" is pronounced with a ts sound. Wu cao is basically the Chinese version of fuck, though I don't know if it has the same literal meaning. The thing I really have to learn how to say in Chinese though is, "if you don't move faster and stop blocking the sidewalk I'm going to rip off your arm and beat you to death with it," though maybe it's better that I don't know how to say that.

2 comments:

Deb Bruno said...

Yes, it's better.

Deb Bruno said...

I don't see that on Rosetta Stone.
--Bob Davis