Monday, July 9, 2012

Food Options

I like the island I live on in Guangzhou. It's close to the city, but not as noisy or crowded as being right downtown. One problem though is that there aren't that many options for food around here. When I first moved to this island I ate in the cafeteria pretty regularly, but the food there is, well, awful. They have a lot of Chinese dishes I know, just really bad versions of them. The students agree that the cafeteria isn't very good but at least it's cheap. After a while I found out that there was a little village about a 20 minute walk from where I am. There are a number of restaurants in that village, though most of them make fairly similar food. I found one Muslim place I like a lot, plus they have picture on the wall which always makes it easier. For most of the semester I ate either in the cafeteria or in the village, but recently I discovered a third option.

A month or two ago I had to find a post office, there isn't really one at my school, so I could mail my taxes by express mail, so I would have some confidence they would actually get to the US. One of my tutors told me that there was a post office over at Sun Yat-sen University's campus on our island. After I managed to get my taxes mailed we went to a food court at a shopping center near Sun Yat-sen . This food court had a lot more options then anything else around. There are some sushi places, though they're not very good, there is a Sichuan place that is good if really spicy. My favorite though is a Korean food place. There people who own that stall aren't actually Korean, but they come from the North of '
China where that sort of food is really common. When I'm not working I have a lot of time so I've been going down there doing some of my studying there, just to break it up so I'm not always studying in my room. It's just nice to find some more options for food.

2 comments:

Deb Bruno said...

Plus, there's always KFC.

bob davis said...

nice to get out.