Monday, September 29, 2008

Blue Sky and Chocolate


Today the sky was blue, well sort of. It was a hazy shade of blue even at the best times, but when you saw it against the clouds it really looked blue which is better then we usually get. Josh talked about "blue sky days" in China and I had a pretty good idea what he meant, I just didn't realize they'd be so infrequent. Even at the best points it wasn't the blue I really remember. When I was younger I used to have to go with my family to what I think were my sisters soccer games, I may have had games on the same day, it was a long time ago and I don't remember it so clearly. What I do remember was even when I played soccer my patients for the sport was pretty low so I'd eventually wander off to some more remote part of whatever field or venue we were at. One time I snuck into an empty tennis stadium and walked around the courts for a while. I figured pretty correctly that even if I was caught a little kid is forgive for most things pretty quickly. What I also remember was lying on the grass looking up at the sky. Some of the times it seemed impossibly blue. I would look near the horizon at the lighter blue then slowly tilt my head up until the sky became a darker and darker shade of blue. Near the very top, when the sun had passed a little so that I could really see the blue became so dark that I felt that I could almost see into outer space. That's the sort of blue I miss. The color that the ocean is always painted but never really appears, truly dark blue.

I went down to the mall at least in part to get some of the other thing I was missing, which is chocolate. The Chineese just don't really seem to go in for chocolate, you don't see it anywhere or on anything. I figure I'm taking at least a little risk with this milk scare but the dove chocolate is almost certainly imported anyways. I also went to the DVD store and bought another ton of DVDs. I don't know why but buying them seems more moral then just stealing them off the internet. Maybe it's because I'm paying someone for them, though God knows not the companies that actually put them out. But I think it just seems more above board since it's so accepted here. It's not like I'm buying them on the streets. They have a store and a staff in the middle of the largest mall in a city of millions. I suppose it comes down to the same reason taking things from the internet is so popular, because everyone is doing it.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Just stay away from the Cadbury! I heard something on the radio this morning about a recall....