Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hut...2...3...4

Well here's something you don't see in America universities, West Point excluded, a whole bunch of freshmen marching around. I wouldn't exactly call this boot camp though. They would basically stand in groups for a while until a military guy would come over give them some commands and march them about 60 feet where they would stop and mill about for a while before marching 60 feet back. They would occasionally call out 1..2 3..4, in Mandarin, but there wasn't a whole lot of yelling. At the very end of the day they were all yelling out something for a while but that only lasted for a minute or two. I ran into Max a Chinese guy who speaks really good English and I think dates one of the German women. He thought it was pretty funny that I was talking pictures of all the freshmen doing their training. I've been wondering what exactly people think when I'm all over the place with my camera. In the US it would be pretty rude to just be sticking a camera in people's faces all the time, but they stare at me a lot so I figure turn about is fair play. Also I've heard that when the Chinese go on vacation they take a ton of pictures.

I spent a while wandering around the rest of campus, which is even bigger than I thought it was. Besides the Tibetan school which is completely encircled by the campus there is also what looks like an area for new drivers to learn how to drive. In one corner of the campus is a big area with odd crisscrossing roads and all sorts of varying obstacles. Past that is yet another set of basketball courts and a couple of tennis courts. Back in one area of the campus is a little canal and a brand new looking walk way along it that deadens in a pretty remote part of campus that looks like it's waiting for future building. In fact the whole back section of campus looks like its designed for a lot more buildings to be there. No work is being done there at the moment though, I guess they're still working on the library which will be the biggest and most impressive building on campus when it's done.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You've become Daniel Davis, intrepid photojournalist!