Saturday, May 16, 2009

This Title Has been Censored

Well it seems that Blogspot, the host for blogs like this one, has been blocked in China, was it something I said? This is I'm sure due to the upcoming 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. The communist party is amazingly paranoid shutting down things like Youtube and Blogspot just on the chance that someone might possibly say something they didn't approve of. Like most authoritarian governments the communists are simply terrified of the people they rule. I talked to one student who complained that US papers criticize China too much. What I pointed out was the US papers criticize the US a lot also but the US government doesn't take this as a threat to its very existence. You can't show less faith in your government then to acknowledge that if people were really allowed to talk about it they obviously wouldn't choose you. It also shows how little the communists believe in anything like the rule of law. Things change fast and on a whim around here. I wonder how that will work as China economy becomes more advanced. Business usually crave the stability that clearly defined rules bring.

Don't worry about this tech savvy writer though, as I mentioned before the Great Firewall is, much like the actual Great Wall, nice to look at but not so effective. Actually I sort of like having people in China unable to read my blog. It makes it easier to say what I want without so many people looking over my shoulder. On another note a new book is apparently about to come out. A autobiography by a former leader of the party around the time of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. He apparently was in favor of more political liberalization which got him locked up in his own house for the last 15 years of his life. To dispute claims that the book is a fake he is said to have made an audio recording of the whole thing. It's supposed to come out in Chinese and English, though I'm sure it will be instantly banned here. Of course they could always unblock it as fast as they've blocked it, in which case I'm just joking I love having all of you read.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Very interesting. Glad to see you can get beyond the great firewall, at least for the western audience.

bob davis said...

wow. you hit the big time. banned in beijing. you and nyt.

bob davis said...

btw, this is what was running as an ad as you complained about government interference in china:

Microsoft Gov 2.0
See how Microsoft technology helps make government more responsive