Thursday, May 21, 2009

Do The Right Thing


I've noticed quite a few T-shirts with English writing on them in China, but the odd thing is that many times the writing doesn't make any sense. It seems that people are more interested in having some English on their shirts then what it actually says. I saw one Chinese student here at the University with a Black Sabbath t-shirt on. I'm pretty sure the little 50 pound Chinese girl wasn't a big Ozzy Osbourne fan. Ken bought a hilarious coat which jut has random letters arranged around it in different colors. The funny thing is that some of the letters aren't even English I think they're from Russian. One girl has a shirt with the words "Don't Look at Me" written in big block letters. If you ask almost any of them about their t-shirt they'll just say they liked the English. There are also a bunch of t-shirts with Playboy bunnies on them, though no one knows it's related to pron, and Playboy certainly isn't making any money off these. It's not juts limited to t-shirts either there are a bunch of sweat pants I've seen people wearing that say "he WS just" on them. I can't even begin to fathom what exactly that means. Even some of the senior English students will walk around with shirts that don't mean anything. One girl had a shirt reading "But More Heroine" on it. My favorite though have to be this pair I saw recently in downtown Changzhou. One guy had a white t-shirt with big black letters all down the front saying, "Work Hard Like You Blow Me Baby." First even though it sounds vaguely pronographic it doesn't add up. Secondly, I don't think he had any idea what it meant. His friend next to him had on a blue t-shirt with "Do the Right Thing" written on it. I don't know maybe I found the only Chinese Spike Lee fan.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Now I know what to shop for when I come to China -- I definitely want a T shirt that says something nonsense!

Anonymous said...

Ohh get me one! And some pirated DVDs, of course. On the subject of weird beliefs, here are a few from Africa- did you know that Coke is a health drink that will cure the common cold faster than medicine? I didn't either. Also, the ice-cream seller on the beach told me that it was a common misconception that ice-cream makes you fat. In fact, it's Oprah making people fat because she's anti ice-cream. So he put a curse on her, and VOILA! she's fat again. Shame.

-Joanna

bob davis said...

Can I sell my old T-shirts. I have a big box of them.