Wednesday, May 27, 2009

You're Fired


I got fired the other day. Don't worry it wasn't from my job at the University, it was from Super where I only worked two hours a week. I had been working there for a little more than half the semester. They had originally asked Dave to work on Monday and Wednesday nights but he couldn't do Wednesdays so I volunteered to take those. Teaching at Super was a very different experience from teaching at the University. My classes were constantly changing in unpredictable ways. One class started off with five people then 15 minutes into the class three more showed up than two more another ten minutes later. We took a break in the middle of the class and when I got back it was down to eight people. A few weeks into it they gave me a book to teach from but then Jack, the guy who works for Super who usually sat in on my classes thought it was too boring when I used the book and wanted me to go back to doing what I was doing before. The level in the class also varied wildly. A few students were pretty good but some just had almost no English, which necessitated some one from Super being their to translate directions. They wanted me to sign something like a contract a few weeks in which besides being unbelievably vague was riddled with typos.

I had really stopped being interested in the class so I was actually relieved when I learned I didn't have to teach there anymore. They didn't tell me I was fired though or even text message or e-mail me, they just gave my job to Brian and I only found out about it when he called asking for one of the books they had given us. In fact I wasn't even sure I was fired until I finally text messaged Jack. This wasn't the first time Super pulled something like this either. Steve brought Dave into the company and then they immediately tried to give Dave Steve's job. At least Steve realizes at this point that they will eventually do something like this to him, and the next person probably won't turn it down like Dave did. It's just so Chinese and passive aggressive to fire some one without even telling them they got fired. What did he expect to happen I'd just show up and find someone else standing in my class. Jack said it had something to do with not submitting lesson plans and that we were going to leave soon, but Dave always did lesson plans and Brian is leaving exactly when we are. This is one of those times I'd like to be inside some one else brain for a while to know what is really going on. I guess Ken and Dave were right for always calling Super terrible.

2 comments:

bob davis said...

did they pay you? i've read about rip-off english classes in china

mom said...

Good information for future reference. I know Teddy won't let that happen to you at the university. Right, Teddy?