Monday, November 8, 2010

Lake


I've talked about Lake before but I think he deserves his own post. Lake is, in addition to being a teacher, in change of assigning classes and everything teaching related when it comes of the foreigners. Steve had a job similar to this back in C-zhou. To increase the Steve parallels Lake has a young son he often brings with him, I don't think his son has an English name, or I just can't remember it, but I suggest Pond. When I fist saw Lake I thought, "oh he must be a big shot he wears a suit and a jacket all the time." It actually turns out that his one suit may be the only cloths he owns. When I first saw him on a weekend and he was still wearing the same suit, it's not that he has two similar ones either, I asked him if he was working or doing something important that day and he just said that no he really just wears the suit all the time. Now I have this image of him sleeping in it. Lake is really into traditional medicine and remedies. When my stomach was bothering me he told me this story about how his grandfather used to put a brick in the fire then wrap it up and tie it to his stomach when he slept.

Lake has also told me that I should never have my bare feet on the floor as it's bad for my chi. Lake's a nice guy, I genuinely like talking to him but he has a problem with going on for a long time once I already understand him. Words like "OK," "sure," or even "I understand," don't derail his sentences. Besides classes he also in charge of English corner which is more interest than I saw any teacher take in the two years I was at JSTU. Lake was also the one who organized the day people came over and made dumplings, more on that in another post. He is one of the few men in China who cook, since his wife is a graduate student and really busy, and he is always on me to cook more.

3 comments:

Deb Bruno said...

Cool, but what is Lake doing in that photo?

bob davis said...

Sounds like a good guy. Wish I could have met him.

Joanna Davis said...

Clearly he's lecturing Daniel on the proper leek to scallion ratio for soup.

Also, the fact that he can't be interrupted is hilarious!