Thursday, November 27, 2008

Video Day

Today I am still feeling not great so in my long class I decided to show a video. I wanted to show them Shakespeare in Love since it was about England, had lots of people talking in British accents and was probably the sort of sappy thing they'd like. We hit one problem after another. We were trying to watch it on a laptop but the sound was way too low, so I went up and got some speakers. Then the music was loud but the speech was inscrutable. Finally, I decided to just take them up to my room and show it to them on my TV. They got quite a kick out of that and all commented on how nice the room was, though I agree with them 100% on that. We finally got the movie started but about 15 minutes in the DVD crapped out. That's the downside of cheap DVDs some just don't work right. The students all thought 10 RMB so so expensive, they download everything from the internet, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper then $20 or whatever DVDs are going for. So I decided to switch movies and show them Elizabeth. That one worked though it was a harder movie and some got board. Rose and Sally, who are my best students, got it though and I think it at least helped them to see some British stuff and hear a British accent. Honestly, with the sort of work they've been trained to do versus the sort they'll expect form them in England added to their language difficulties I'll be surprised if anyone besides Rose actually comes back with a degree.

1 comment:

Mom said...

How about some Monty Python? Maybe Chinese would see the humor in that!