Saturday, October 24, 2009

The More Things Change

One of the biggest changes I noticed in being home was that everyone had a job. This is partially surprising because of the economic downturn but mostly since being in China sort of feels like being on extended vacation. It's really wired to come back and have everyone talk about the things they do at work and what not. It has sort of a Peter Pan effect, returning from Never Never Land and seeing the real world again. I'm not sure I want to grow up but it sort of seems that most people have. All my old friends have real jobs and 9 to 5 hours that just are so alien to me. Being on vacation back in the US felt a lot like being home from college except that I was the only one. There was a lot of time just sitting around since I was the only one not working during the week. Sure there were still parties and stuff but things had a much more grown up air. It feels like at some point everyone just decided to be an adult and I never really went along. I'm not saying that growing up, or getting a real job is actually what I want, but it seems to be what everyone else is doing. Actually I think the most interesting thing about being back was just how little had changes fro the most part. I wondered if I would miss all the people staring at me, but it was nice not to always be the center of attention. Maybe the biggest change for me was that it felt like going on vacation to be in the US, not coming back from one. It's hard to say exactly how or if I've changed over my year in China and I don't really know what the answer is. I think the only thing I can say with any certainty is that I liked what I found living abroad and I want more of it.

2 comments:

bob davis said...

though we miss you a lot at home, we know how much you love being in China. too many people endure, as opposed to love, the work they do. that's a big loss.

mom said...

Very honest!