Thursday, December 11, 2008

English Corner Revisited

I've mentioned English corner before the thing on Thursdays where a bunch of Chineese students gather around whichever American teachers showed up to talk to them. I say whichever but it's usually just Ken and David. I'd like to go, the students love it and I want to make nice with the school since I'm interested in staying another year, though I'm not sure they really have any idea what's up with English corner, but I just hate it. By Thursday night I'm tired and I've just completed all my classes for that week. Also I just don't know what to do. It started the first time I showed up with being mobbed by 100 students standing around me in a circle looking at me, I just don't know what to say. I felt like I'd have to start preforming magic tricks to keep them all entertained. I see other people talking to the whole crowed and making them laugh, but I'm just not a performer. I don't mind speaking to crowds but I have no idea how to engage that many people. I just end up answering questions from them until some one new walks by and asks me the same questions again. Even just going for like an hour seems like torture. One student asked me last time why I checked my cell phone so much, I didn't want to say that I was really impatient for this to end. I like teaching a lot at times, but English corner has such a different vibe. I guess I'm just not cut out for life as a street performer.

4 comments:

Mom said...

I think you should try out your best standup comedy routines. Go for really corny Henny Youngman stuff and see how that flies...

bob davis said...

break dancing??

LoriBruno said...

Definitely siver body paint--then you don't have to say a word

LoriBruno said...

*silver