Monday, December 8, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year


It's really starting to be Christmas time in China. I wasn't sure if they were going to celebrate Christmas at all since the country is officially atheist and they don't seem to big on most western holidays. But there is definitly a lot of Christmas spirit in China. The hotel in particular has a ton of Christmas stuff. They have a big tree outside, pictured to the left, and have decorated the lobby with a big Christmas sign some lights little reindeer and some small trees. Also the cold weather is making the whole place feel more like Christmas. The stores in particular are really into it, I guess any chance to embrace a holiday the involves buying decorations then buying presents is OK with all the big stores. I wish it would snow a little for Christmas but I think it doesn't usually snow here and even when it does it's a lot later. We are thinking of asking the school if we can go around caroling, I wanted to ask them since it comes a little close to religious stuff which they can really freak out about. I'm also planning on throwing some sort of little Hanukkah party, I found a grater so I can do Latkes for the people here. I just love the holiday season, even though I'm not at home, it's by far my favorite part of the winter. Plus I'm getting about 6 weeks off in about a month, and getting a bunch of extra money since I get paid while I'm off and I get a small travel stipend plus I get half my ticket reimbursed now.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Well, if you can do latkes, the next step will be ravioli!
Seriously, I think everyone will be really impressed with your latkes. The trick is lots of onion and frying them long enough in hot enough oil. As for the carols, maybe if you offer to sing things like "jingle bells" they won't be too worried....

bob davis said...

"Dreidle, dreidle, they make it out of clay.
And when it's dry and ready, oh dreidle, we will play."
(repeat, ad infinitum)
The commies will never know what you're talking about.

LoriBruno said...

OK so I'm starting to enjoy your parents comments ALMOST as much as your posts......try explaining the Peppermint Pig thing!!!

Mom said...

I'm just hoping there's a peppermint pig on its way to China, or some young man might have a mishap in the coming year that involves the Great Wall.....

Ken F said...

I think your Dad hit the nail on the head DTMS, have you told them the "culturally sensitive" comments Steve made after "the Jew" won at Monopoly. I doubt the Party representatives here know the word Jew.