Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bucket of Change

In Changzhou I had a bucket of change. When I finally added it up at the end of the year it was more than 300 RMB worth of 1 RMB 5 mao and 1 mao coins. I would always get change from stores and not wanting to port it around with me I'd put it in the bowl. Sometimes I'd take some out to pay for lunch or dinner or what not but usually it would just keep growing. Here in Alaer I have yet to see one coin. Not a single store, vendor, or person, has had any coins. They always end up giving me the really small 1 mao and 5 mao bills that are almost never seen in Changzhou, or anywhere on the East coast of China. But here they seem to love them. I don't know why this is exactly, I wouldn't even really know who to ask. Maybe for some reason the banks just don't give them out here. Maybe there some reason that has to do with farmers, Uyghurs, or where they're made, or maybe there is no reason at all. All I know is that I love it. It's wonderful to not have to worry about carrying around coins anymore. The bucket of change is gone and good riddance.

No comments: