Sunday, September 5, 2010

Dust Storm

Well this is different. I've seen a lot of weather in my life. -15 in Madison, raining 300 days a year in Belgium, Sunny and nice in Australia, but I don't think I've ever been in a dust storm before. I first noticed something was different when it was surprisingly cool out this morning. I looked out my window and noticed it was cloudy, which is quite a change around here. When I went outside I noticed that it looked sort of like it was foggy except for the huge urge to cough. Actually my throat has been feeling bad for a while now with the dry conditions and the sand all over the place. One of the other foreign teachers, Lake, told me that it was a dust storm not a full blown sand storm and that it was odd since this wasn't the sand storm season. Apparently they can get quite bad around May. Also When I was asking Lake what the weather in the winter was like he said it wasn't that cold, then proceeded to say about -10 Celsius. That seems pretty cold to me. I'm glad I brought my heavy jacket. At least here they have heating in all the classrooms unlike in Changzhou and I think every single room in my apartment has a radiator. I really have come to the edge of the world. I think there should be a sign like, "Here be Dragons," on the maps.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Great post! Here at Nanie and Poppy's for their River Party and we're all glad to hear you're getting acclimated!!!

Deb Bruno said...

Maybe we should send some face masks?