Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Where Are They Hiding the Bodies?

So Slav, the other young foreign teacher here, I'll do a separate post about him, comes down to my apartment saying he's looking for a tape player and Ma Ming said there should be one somewhere in my apartment. Well I haven't seen anything like that but I humor him and start randomly opening drawers. The first thing I come across is a collection of DVDs that some one left behind. Great, I think, I almost left some DVDs in my apartment I guess I lucked out since I get exactly zero English TV stations here these will come in useful. I don't find anything else in the other drawers, a few drawers in one desk are locked but Ma Ming said they lost the key years ago. In my apartment there are two bed rooms, only one has a mattress so I pretty much ignored the other one. In the other bedroom there was a closet that was for some reason taped shut. I basically figured that it was just probably broken or damaged or something. Having not found a tape player yet I decided to cut into the tape and see what's in the closet.

When I open it I'm stunned to discover that it's filled with a huge amount of stuff left by previous foreigners. In the smaller side compartments I find a Scrabble set, two tape players, a few papers on learning Chinese, a couple of bibles and some candles. There are also what I'm pretty sure are selections from the bible translated into Chinese, I guess I know one of the previous tenants was an undercover missionary. The top of the closet I'm shocked to find has not one but two guitars, a sleeping bag, and a duffel bag, still with airline tag, filled with cloths. The main section of the closet is literally packed full of blankets, cloths, and a small suitcase. It's at this point I start wondering if the school is secretly murdering foreigners and I'm finding all there left over stuff. I even google the name I find on one bag to see if there are any stories about missing people. I'm a little reassured when I don't find any news and when I see that the cloths actually belong to a number of people, one bag is filled with women's clothing. I guess this closet is just filled with years worth of the left over possessions of previous foreigners. In Changzhou the cleaning people just take that stuff but I guess here the school protects it for some reason.

The picture is of Slav making a face as he takes one of the guitars out of the closet, it's useful to have some one tall around. Also on another note this now marks the longest I've ever gone on my blog without missing a day. See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Sarah Sanderson said...

nice work! I've enjoyed the daily posts!

poppy said...

ruelistyou need to have a yard sale

Deb Bruno said...

You actually googled the name to make sure they weren't murdered? That's funny.