Saturday, September 18, 2010

G'mar chatimah tovah

Well it's Yom Kippur here in China, for my non-Jewish readers Yom Kippur, or the day of atonement, is the most important Jewish holiday in the year which involves fasting, and in America going to synagogue. Here in Alaer there aren't exactly a lot of synagogue around so I'm just hanging out and not eating. Not eating on Yom Kippur is about the only Jewish thing I do in the average year, but I figure what the hell it's only one day. I got woken up early today to go judge yet another English competition which was just about as boring as they always are. People do way to much early in the morning around here it's starting to get on my nerves.

Ma Ming basically thought the not eating and drinking thing was funny. He kept pointing to the water bottle and smiling. I can't really tell if some of the stuff he does is just because he's Chinese or because he's a jerk. They kept asking how long it was for I think because they thought it was like Ramadan and lasted for a number of days. It's interesting to be in a part of China were they are more familiar with Muslim culture than Jewish.

2 comments:

Deb Bruno said...

You are officially the first person in Alaer to have fasted for Yom Kippur. I think I can safely make that statement.

bob davis said...

it's 4 pm on yom kippur as I write. I have a headache. I spoke to your sister. She was grumpy too.